Monday, February 4, 2008

Writer angst

I’ve been working on a book. Okay, yes, I have several books in progress, but this one has been in my mind for years. So with this one my brain shorted out and I wrote the opening while channelling a repressed, repetitive inner child. Several people commented that it didn’t sound like Gail Faulkner wrote it. It sounded like someone trying to be Gail Faulkner wrote it. AAAAAKKKKKKK

I had no idea what to do with that. So I tried to be more me. Yeah, that’s like trying to look sober when you’re not. It never works. Or so I’ve heard.

I’m not sure what this condition is called but its related to writers block, just add stupid and there ya have it. Needless to say, it is discouraging. Finally I gave in and rewrote the beginning, changing the events, not just the words. My critique partner has it. If this round is still stupid the dang thing goes in the drawer. Ninety seven thousand words of garbage. La deep sigh.

Above is simply random sharing with no real purpose except grumpy writer angst.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's okay, Gail. *giving big hug* We all been there done that, for sure. And thanks for the post, although it would have helped if I'd edited it before I posted it - I think it's totally weird that I write how I talk, bad grammar, Southern colloquialisms and all, yet I can edit all that stuff out with the best of them... It's like being Jekyll and Hyde... hehehe

Oh, and uh, I hope it's not one of the Ghost Unit stories you teased us with on your web page some time back that is looking like drawer fodder...I'd be crushed. I do love those guys...

Have a wonderful day!
Georgia

Gail said...

Laughin at Georgia. You are so cute when you're being an editor on yourself. Since you're a writer too you ARE Jekyll and Hyde. Have to use two different skillzzz to do those two jobs.

Nope, not a Unit book. This is book one of a three bood series. Even have the other two books plotted. Not sure I can give up on these yet. This morning I still Love them.