Friday, August 22, 2008

I love garage sales!


Labor Day weekend is coming up and this year I’m joining the national pass time of exchanging junk. The problem with being a seller is figuring what to put out and how much to ask.

My philosophy is, if I put a thing out for sale, I want to get rid of it. Therefore pricing should fall under the ridiculously cheap label. However, members of my family feel value of the item should be considered. You can see where this is going.

For me, the fun of garage sale hunting is getting a bargain. I don’t want to haggle over it, I just want to pay my money and go away happy. As a seller I don’t want to haggle either. I want the stuff to go away so I’m happy.

So what is your philosophy? Pricing ridiculously cheap? Pricing giving you, the seller, room to be haggled down and still get what you wanted for the item?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I don’t want to haggle over it, I just want to pay my money and go away happy. As a seller I don’t want to haggle either. I want the stuff to go away so I’m happy."

Exactly my thoughts!! I avoid garage sales (giving and attending) for the very same reasons.

Linda said...

We used to go to lots of garage sales when Bill was mobile. They were a lot of fun. Have you participated in the World's Longest Yard Sale? It runs right through our community of Signal Mountain. I believe it's over 400 miles long and runs for a week the first or second week in August. It's a zoo!

Tashia Calhoun said...

I love garage sales too! I love to find the great bargains, but I am also willing to pay higher prices for items I know are worth it!
I made $1300 at my last sale, mostly because I tend to price the items I know will be hot sellers slightly higher and people buy them because they know what they are worth!

Go Garage Sales:)
http://www.garage-sale-secrets.com

Gail said...

Haggling just isn't fun...sigh.

I have heard of the World's Longest Yard Sale. How fun that would be.

Ohhhh, clapping hands in happiness. A helpful link. Thank you Tashia!