Thursday, October 9, 2008

Awsome View!!


I haven’t blogged about this because I didn’t quite have the words. On one level I spent Saturday in erotic romance author heaven. On another level I was so impressed with our local heroes I could hardly stand it.

I attended the Scott Firefighter Combat Challenge. This is the equivalent of Olympic trials for firefighters. Teams from across the U.S. and Canada participate in full equipment challenges. Everywhere one looks there is an unbelievably fit firefighter, or six, watching or participating.

OMG!!! These men just have to stand there to look poster perfect. If they are watching they are in partial uniform, usually with a body-hugging type shirt so they can easily slip into the big coat. They really do stand around with the firefighter pants unsnapped, having something else on under, but um, well, it's just so freaking sexy. They can’t help it. You see my problem.

On the other hand, I’m humbled by the huge personal commitment each one of them make to doing “the job.” Obviously, hours of personal training. Their dedication to healthful living so they can easily lift two hundred and fifty pounds of human and carry a person out of harm’s way. It’s astounding.


I attended the one in Akron, Ohio, last weekend. There will be another in St. Louis October 11 and the last trial in Atlanta, November 17-18. The World Championships will be in Las Vegas November 11-15, 2008.

Go if you can. The view is amazing!
Edited to add: The winning team is from Canada. I forget exactly where. Sorta wish I'd had the nerve to congraduate them. Love that accent.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Girlfriend, didn't you have at least a camera-phone with which you could have taken a few photos? A little sharing of the view would have been inspirational. heh heh

Anonymous said...

Yeah! What Linda said!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Here's a link to videos of the 2007 challenge.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fqnBnL9cOI

Gail said...

I did take a camera. First problem, my husband and daughter were there. I couldn't be obvious. Second problem, I was not brave enough to ask the awsome firefighters for a release to post pictures on the web.

I think having a photo of the winning team should be okay to post. They were posing for photos with thier trophy. I'll get that one up today.

N.J.Walters said...

I've watched bits and pieces of those combat challenges on televsion once or twice. They must be really impressive in person!